Pass the pain and fromage: Tanya in France

Tanya is not a francophile but has still somehow managed to end up getting a postdoc in Provence. It's the cote d'azur on the cheap with someone who feels "bad" weather is when it's sunny and warm. Impressions, observations, and random occurrences will be documented.

Name:
Location: Biot, Alpes Maritimes, France

After finishing my Ph.D. in 2005 at the U. of California at Davis, I did brief stints at Oregon State U. and Lava Beds Natl. Monument. Now once again I am living in a place where the climate does not agree with me but is considered ideal by most people. I got no sympathy when I had to go to Honolulu for two months either. Why can't I get a postdoc in Iceland, Alaska, or the UK?

Tuesday, November 07, 2006


Ok, I swear I have not totally forgotten about this. There will be postings from my trip to Naples and Rome just as soon as I get my laptop back from the shop. Yes, I have poor luck with computers. The trackpad on my laptop started going out on me so I wanted to get it fixed while it was still under warranty. However, it turns out that people work at a leisurely pace in this part of France. I won't bore you too much with the details of my numerous attempts to find out why it has been taking so long (over three weeks) to replace one part. Suffice it to say that I have had to resort to imposing on the nice Japanese researcher, Mami, who has been kind enough to call the shop for me every few days to see what the status is. Customer service? What is that? I basically got hung up on when I tried to call them myself and asked (in French) if they spoke English. The puzzling part is that I know there are people there that do speak English; I spoke to one such person when I brought my computer in so long ago. Anywho, without the laptop to compose entries on at home I just haven't had time to compose anything long enough to do justice to my Italy trip. Meanwhile, here's a preview - me taking one of my numerous pictures of the Roman forum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home